This Vegan dish is a classic recipe from the Punjabi Cuisine and pair well with naan or with tandoori roti. Okra is not an easy vegetable to cook because of its sliminess while being cooked. There are way to overcome that - read on to know more and do try this recipe as it it is simply delicious 👌🙂
♔ Tender okra/bhindi - 30
♔Onion - 1, medium (chopped fine)
♔Tomato - 1, medium (chopped fine)
♔Garlic paste - 2 teaspoons
♔ Tomato paste - 1 teaspoon
♔ Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) - ½ teaspoon *crush it between your palms*
♔ Corn flour - 2 teaspoons
♔ Salt - to taste
♔ Oil - 2 tablespoons
♔ Chili powder - 1 teaspoon
♔ Turmeric powder - ¼ teaspoon
♔ Coriander powder - 2 teaspoons
♔ Garam masala powder - ½ teaspoon
- Wash and pat dry okra thoroughly. Cut into ½ inch pieces. Sprinkle the corn flour, toss and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the okra. Keep aside **The key to dealing with the sliminess is: a) high heat and b) cooking the okra fast. Therefore, keep the heat on high while sautéing and in order to cook well and fast, sprinkle about 30 mls of water on the okra, cover and cook for most of the time - till they are nearly cooked.**
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan. Add garlic and tomato paste and fry.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry till it they turn translucent.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and salt and saute for few minutes.
- Add the spice powders. Mix well and fry till tomatoes turn mushy and the paste turn glossy.
- Add in the fried okra and toss well.
- Add kasuri methi and mix well.
I serve this with the Tawa roti - the recipe for which I had posted earlier
More about this Recipe:
Approximate Nutritive Values
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.6g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.9g||18%|
|Total Sugars 4.1g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.|