This rustic looking Vegan Spicy Flatbread recipe requires only 4 ingredients and is ready in about 20 minutes! Ever since I tried this for the first time, this has become a family favourite, just like this Mung Beans Curry that pairs so well with this flatbread! Do try it, I am sure it will become your family favourite too! The best part is that it has no yeast and you can be as creative as you can with the toppings - the sky is the limit with the combinations that you can use!
- Do you belong to bread camp or rice camp?
- Toppings that will works well for this No Yeast Flatbread
- Recipe Ingredients for the Vegan Spicy Flatbread
- How to make this delicious Vegan Flatbread
- Nutrition Values (approximate) for Vegan Spicy Flatbread
- Recipe Card + Video
Do you belong to bread camp or rice camp?
Do you, like me, love carbs? Honestly, I cannot imagine a day of my life without either rice or wheat! Although I am self proclaimed rice addict, there are many occasions when I crave a hot, soft flatbread or paratha - especially when I make some delicious dal or curry. This easy, no yeast flatbread, of all of them, has my heart - a close second being this gluten free roti. On days when we feel like having a Mediterranean meal, I serve this flatbread with some hummus, vegetable salad and some extra virgin olive oil. On days when I am more of a fusion mood, I serve these with some creamy beetroot raitha (yogurt dip) and chargrilled aubergine mash (Baingan Bhartha)
I am 50% rice camp and 50% wheat camp. What about you? Do let me know in the comments.
Toppings that will works well for this No Yeast Flatbread
Some time back, I ran a poll in my Instagram stories and asked my IG family what toppings they would suggest for this flatbread, I got so many amazing suggestions! Here are some of the suggestions for topping:
- Garlic and Green chillies
- Sesame seeds
- Crushed Cumin and Coriander seeds
Which of the above combinations are you most likely to try? Or do you have something completely different idea in mind? Do let me know in the comments below. Would love to try them too!
This recipe is inspired from the Mediterranean. I first saw this recipe in a food magazine and knew instantly that I could develop it into something that we will all love! After many trials and taste testing, here is the fail proof version!
Recipe Ingredients for the Vegan Spicy Flatbread
Just 4 ingredients and water (of course!) to bind them all together - that's it! - Flour (I use whole wheat), salt, oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil or any other oil of your choice) and baking powder.
How to make this delicious Vegan Flatbread
- In an bowl, add 1 cup (250grams) of whole wheat flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Now add in 150 ml of hot water. It is important to use hot water to get the softest flatbread. Please do not omit this step.
3. Mix the dough initially with a ladle (because of the hot water) and when it is cool enough to handle, mix it in with your hand till the dough comes together. Knead it for a minute. Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
4. While the dough is resting, do these two things:
- in a bowl, mix together 1 teaspoon (5 grams) of oregano and 1 teaspoon (5 grams) of red chilli flakes. Keep aside.
- Set a frying pan/griddle (preferably cast iron) to heat on medium heat.
5. Once the dough has rested for 10 minutes, knead it well for two minutes to get a dough that is soft and pliable.
6. Pinch the dough to make 8 equal portions. Roll each portion between the palms of your hand to make a smooth looking ball.
7. Using some flour for dusting, roll out each dough ball into a round shape. Sprinkle some of the oregano - chilli flakes mixture and roll some more so that the oregano and chilli flakes get "embedded" into the dough.
8. By this time the frying pan/griddle that you have put for heating should have heated up evenly. Turn the heat up to medium - high. Place the rolled out flatbread - herbs and spices side up.
When you see the flatbread puffing up, gently flip it. Drizzle some oil (about 1 teaspoon). Let this side cook and puff up too. Each side will take about 1 minute to cook and turn golden brown.
See Recipe video below.
Have you made this recipe? Do share it with me on Instagram and Facebook
Love flatbreads? Then you will love these too!
Nutrition Values (approximate) for Vegan Spicy Flatbread
Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13.8g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 1.9g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 45.4g||17%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.9g||28%|
|Total Sugars 0.3g|
|Vitamin D 0mcg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.|
[…] plant based protein, iron and healthy gut fibre, this healthy vegan curry paired with some rice or roti (flatbread) will keep you nourished and going for […]
[…] flatbread and is a much loved main dish in our home. I make them quite often, especially these easy whole wheat flatbreads and pair them with Indian curry dishes. We also love having parathas as a breakfast /brunch option […]