This chutney will be a burst of flavours and textures in your mouth. The strong flavour of mint (pudina) is balanced beautifully with the juiciness of fresh coconut. This chutney is versatile and goes well with hot rice and ghee (of course!!), parathas or as a sandwich spread.
- Coconut - 50g (fresh, preferably)
- Pudina (mint)- 15g
- Tamarind - 5g
- Red chillies - 3 (3g); broken into pieces
- Green chillies - 1 (5g); halved
- Water - 60 ml
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric -½ tsp
- Oil - 2 tsps
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Urad (white) dal - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds - ½ tsp
- Hing (asafoetida) powder - a pinch
- Heat 2 tsps of oil in a pan. Add the green and red chillies. Stir.
- Add mint leaves and tamarind. Fry for a minute on medium heat.
- Add salt and turmeric. Turn off the heat.
- Cool and grind along with coconut and water.
- For tempering, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add urad dal and fry.
- When it starts turning golden brown, add mustard seeds and hing.
- Mix it in the chutney and serve.
It is as easy as that! Do try and leave a comment 🙂