This delicious, ever so popular dish is from Punjabi Cuisine is one of those dishes that one cannot go wrong with! Tastes great with rotis and rice alike! I have had it as a sandwich spread as well 😂😂 - that’s how versatile this curry is! 😊
- Aubergines (big) 🍆🍆- 2 : chargrill and peel (grilling on flame gives best smoky flavour. If that is not possible use oven or hot plate)
Mustard oil (or any other oil of choice) - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
To be chopped finely:🍅🧅🌶
* Garlic - 1 clove
* Ginger - ½ inch piece
* Green chilli -1
* Onion - 1 big
* Tomatoes - 2(medium)
Spices & flavourings:👈🏼
* Salt - to taste
* Turmeric - ½ tsp
* Coriander seeds powder - 3 tsps
* Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
* Coriander leaves - handful (chopped)
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan. Add the cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter, add the ingredients mentioned under "finely chopped" one by one, starting with garlic. Fry each ingredient for about 30 seconds before adding the next one.
- Then add those under "spices & flavourings" one by one. Mix well. Cook till tomotoes are mushy.
- Mash the aubergines with your hand. Add this to the pan. Mix well.
- Cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves🥘🥘.
💥A note about mustard oil: It adds a distinctive flavour to the dish. When cooking with mustard oil, to temper its pungency, you should heat it to the smoking point.💥
This would be great paired with the tawa roti. 👍👍